Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Elephant Garlic and Herbs

General View of my Garden 4/16/2012
I decided to start a blog as a method of tracking my progress in the garden. I realized I have learned a lot this year I didn't know before and have not really kept track of my progress. So here goes.

Elephant Garlic Bulblets
 I dug my elephant garlic yesterday I had about 5 dozen little "bulblets" from the base of the mature garlic. After some research it appears you can grow new garlic from them but it takes two years. I can't resist a challenge so I planted them today in a corner of the garden. Apparently you can pull them early much as you pull immature onions to eat as green onions. So this will be something new to try.

 This was a productive 3 hours spent in the garden. I cleaned up and fork dug the garlic bed. I added some compost and replanted the aforementioned elephant garlic bulblets. I also refreshed some other beds with compost getting ready for herbs, planted two replacement JalapeƱo plants (their predecessors unexpectedly bit the dust) and I up-potted some herb seedlings from the starter trays. I am getting a super late start on herbs because I wasn't sure I had room for them. Since I do, I figure it's better late than never. I have starts of dill, basil, cilantro and borage. And I have some marigolds for companion planting and to help draw pollinators.

No comments:

Post a Comment